It is the contents not the paywall but How?
Brief: Do paywalls really work for newspapers ?
Progress for this project
- 50–50, with a median age of 51 years and median household income of $99,669.
- about 60 percent of Times’ audience were college graduates “plus” (bachelors or higher), 42 percent were professional/managerial, and 13 percent were top management level.
- People still want the news
- Digital is the right direction
- Revenue streams are working
- Innovation is just getting started
It is the content, not the paywall.
“From Brexit to Trump, the rise of populism favors a flight to quality information”
“Newspapers welcome more digital subscribers in time of fake news”
1.Bundle with digital subscribe each month
- Another possibility is bundling digital subscriptions. Amazon has been offering its estimated 54m Prime members in the US deeply discounted subscriptions to the Washington Post (owned by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos) since 2015.
Cellphone payment (netflix just added on T-mobile plan), netfilx, spotify, amazon, microsoft, adobe cc, apple music, HBO, PS4 tinder, credit card.
Every times when people grow up (change the job/Graduated/moving to new place) there is opportunity to get them subscribed.
2.Redesign mobile app for better reading experience.
- Adding Timesvideo in the app. Newyork Tims has really good video channels.
- Personalize the feed.
- Navigation on the bottom of the screen. easy to reach.
3. Social media
How Millennials consume news.
1. It’s integrated into their lives
2. They’re exposed to opposing viewpoints
3. They consume news from people they know
NY times is doing right on IG and Snapchat
IG (telling by picture)
Snapchat (animation highlight on the key sentence help the audience capture the main idea)
What can NY Times improve?
On Facebook, NY Times should categorize the channel to get more traffic to the Page. for example
Insider have more than 10 categories.
NY Times has potential on several contents categories.